Skip to main content

Sign Petitions!

 Hey all! 

This is a quick reminder about some great petitions you can sign! This only takes a few minutes to do and it is a wonderful way for students like us to get involved in a great movement! 

Petitions: 

https://www.change.org/t/workers-rights-6

I am linking the website above as it is my favorite. There are literally hundreds of petitions that cover so many areas and sectors of work. Not only will you be part of a ground breaking movement, you will get to learn about the different issues that concern us as well! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Income vs Essential Workers

Hey guys! So for this month's topic, I want to talk about something new. This loosely correlates with labor rights but I still think it's relevant and important to discuss.  I was browsing through YouTube and saw something interesting. I saw a video about how much money public figures, namely celebrities, make. For one song produced and sold, for every movie made, celebrities make millions. And once they release these projects, a slew of companies hire them as spokespeople for their companies. Models and actors are paid an upward into the millions.  Now, I'm not hating on these celebrities. I'm a fan of a good number of celebrities and love listening to music and watching movies. I definitely think that artistic talent should be awarded accordingly and my post here today isn't necessarily meant to be cynical commentary on their profession as a whole, but rather a criticism of the wage disparity that is evident between celebrities and essential workers.  Essential wo...

Let's talk about Fast Fashion

  I have a love hate relationship with fast fashion. I love it because, well, it's cheap. I like buying a cute outfit for five dollars. As a consumer, all I see is the price tag. Where it came from, how it was made, honestly didn't concern me that much. It was only after I started getting interested in labor rights that my perspective on this started to change.  Fast Fashion pertains to brands such as Forever 21, H&M, Shein, etc. The term fast fashion is used because they swap styles every other day. New clothes are brought in every week and sold out, only to be replaced with another batch of trendy new styles. While for us consumers, this is fun and exciting and a cheap way to sharpen our wardrobe, this comes at the expense of millions of underpaid and abused workers.  Fast fashion workers are notoriously overworked and underpaid. In countries such as Bangladesh where labor is the main source of capital, workers work under severe conditions to produce a massive amoun...